Thursday, March 13, 2014

Would Jesus Play Softball?

Would Jesus play softball?  He certainly seemed to enjoy boating, fishing and hiking.  I know, I know, you argue...those were necessary forms of transportation and sustenance! But still, is it crazy to think that Jesus enjoyed any kind of activity?  I know Christians who struggle to admit that they do.  It's as if they feel guilty for enjoying any other activity other than reading the bible, praying, worshiping or witnessing.  

I have also met people who "get around the guilt" by quoting 1 Corinthians 9:22 "...I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some."  It is as if these people are saying, "I don't really want to play softball... it is just what I have to do in order to reach softball players for Christ." Look, I'm all for missionary endeavors, but let's just call it like it is (no pun intended)... we are Christians and we like to play softball.  

There I said it! Astonishingly, I feel no guilt about it, nor do I believe I should feel guilty.  We are Christians who enjoy doing things.  We are Christians who play softball. We are Christians and we exercise. We are Christians and we play euchre. We are Christians who like to go bowling and enjoy a good cup of coffee.  We are Christians who like building things. We enjoy interior design.  We ride bicycles, horses, and motorcycles.  We are Christians who do these things and sometimes we even do them together in groups!

At our church, we embrace the idea that Christians do things beyond Bible reading, prayer, worshiping and witnessing.  We even mix our Christianity with these things and for us it is not awkward or unnatural.  We blend who we are with what we do.  There are a few words for this kind of living and they are; authentic, real, mature, and alive. 

When Christians live this way... unbelievers are attracted to them.  Yes, sometimes we do things because we know unbelievers are interested, but we don't have to pretend we aren't enjoying ourselves.  We certainly don't have to hide our excitement from other Christians.

So, batter up!  Swing for the fences my friends.  Pray and Play Ball!

If you are interested in playing softball this summer
Click here to fill out the First Assembly Community Ministries Men's Softball League Form.




What do you think? Would Jesus Play Softball?

What activity do you love to do?




No comments:

Post a Comment